Thursday, June 14, 2012

Repair Thy Skin

In life, there are few things that can be considered fundamental truths. In my line of work, one thing I can surely depend on is that skin gets older. It starts when we reach twenty, and it's just downhill from there. If we are wise, wiser than I generally give myself credit for, we will take care of the skin we are in. We will wash it with cleanser, not soap, and moisturize with with product that are meant for the skin on our faces.

It's like this: the skin on your body is different than the skin on your face. You face it made of finer, more delicate skin, then say...the skin on your arms and legs. The pores are more easily clogged and it is far easier to cause irreparable damage. If you place sub par products on your skin, just because they are accessible...and *gasp* cheaper, you will not be happy with the end result.

The key is to find out what your problems are, and I don't mean through self-diagnosis. You wouldn't believe the number of people that I speak to that think they have sensitive skin, when they just do not. People need professionals to help figure out the problems. You wouldn't diagnose a sickness on your own, so how can you diagnose a skin problem on your own. There are two ways to get checked out. You can see an aesthetician for a facial and they can give you a pretty decent rundown of what may be up with your skin. If you have more sever issues, a dermatologist is the way to go.

After all you have heard me say, I'm sure you know that I am a believer in "you get what you pay for". Buying skin products at the drug store can be treacherous at best. My newest skin care addiction is Murad. They have a vast variety of products and they all have some amazing things that they do.



Murad is a three part system: 1 - Cleanse/Tone, 2 - Treat/Repair, and 3 - Hydrate/Protect. You can use and layer as many #1 and #2 products as you wish, but you can only use one #2 at a time. They have several different skin care lines, Acne, Anti-Aging Acne, Environmental Shield, Age Reform, Redness Therapy, Vitalic (for skin with less troubles), and Resurgence (for hormonal skin). They also have a line of hybrids and make-up like products and the Murad Man line, with all sorts of man-friendly goodies.



I know I will probably wind up talking about all sorts of different Murad products that I have come to depend on, but for now, I will go with the basic product that I love and adore: cleaner. I used to think that I had sensitive skin, but it turned out to be a gluten allergy. Once I had the redness on my cheeks under control, I was able to try stronger products. this lead me to the Environmental Shield Essential-C Cleanser. Whoa. Just...whoa. I started using this stuff, and I swear that my face started to thank me. My pores reduced in size and I literally got younger looking skin in the first month. All it took was learning to discipline myself to wash my face twice a day. I never questioned washing my face at night. As far as my face goes, I know I wear make up and that clogs pores, on TOP of the fact that free radicals from exhaust fumes and all sorts of other environmental goodies eee fit to attach themselves to my skin. But, I always wondered why you had to wash your face in the morning. It occurred to me, after starting this regimen, that we all sweat when we sleep. Why would I want to start my day with an icky face. Ew. Seriously...ew. It made such a difference when I started using a proper cleanser.

One of my favorite parts about Murad is that you don't need to use much product to go a long way. I've had this cleanser fpr three months and I still have at least a months supply left. The products are kind of pricey, but they use higher quality ingredients, and you're technically buying at least a 3 months supply, so it works out. If you buy this on the Murad website, you can get the full sized cleanser for $35. They also sell kits that have a 1-month supply of several products in one box for a little more than the cost of the full sized cleanser. I can't say enough how much I love their products. I was never a believer in higher priced skin care before I started using this line, but I am most assuredly reformed now!

As per usual, if you have any questions, please ask! I am always available to answer. Also, I am still on the hunt for your home remedies to basic beauty issues, so please clue me in!

Have a wonderful one, my lovelies!!

1 comment:

  1. This stuff is not cheap but goddess I love it! I have the Sensitive Skin Soothing Serum that I bought from Massage Envy on my birthday trip. I can tell the difference in my skin already, stuff is fabulous. I still need to get the Essential-C Day Moisture for during the day though. Just a bit much for my trip that day though. Hopefully soon I'll be able to make another trip, get another massage and buy it.

    ReplyDelete