Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Needle Pulling Thread...Without the Needle

I have always been on the lookout for the latest trends, especially ones that make my life easier. Threading is one of my favorite beauty regimens, and has been for some time. A few years ago, when I was living in California, I went to a bridal show. As per usual, there were all kinds of vendors available, but one in particular piqued my interest, it was called Thread and Sugar. I sat and watched as these ladies reshaped peoples eyebrows with just a long piece of cotton thread. It was amazing, with just a few moments, these women that once had unruly eyebrows were now blessed with perfectly arched and shaped creations. I had to try it. I sat down in the chair and waited to see what this new experience was going to be like.

For everyone that hasn't heard of this, Threading is a style of epilation (like waxing, sugaring, and tweezing) that comes from Eastern cultures. It is done by taking 100% cotton thread and holding the end in ones mouth, twisting it (making it look like a cat's cradle) then using the twists to remove unwanted hair. It has been gaining popularity in recent years, with different salons offering it as an add on service and even locations that do threading exclusively. The saddest thing happened when I moved to Nashville, I couldn't find a location to get my eyebrows threaded

Threading had to be one of the most interesting experiences that I have ever had. Some people say that threading really hurts, but I didn't find that. In fact, I found that it hurt me less than waxing. It was quick and precise, two things most people look for when it comes to facial epilation. I am blessed with relatively nice eyebrows. They have a decent arch and only some of the hairs curl. I don't get a unibrow, but still, they lack the precise edge most want in their eyebrows..



Sadly, when I moved to Nashville, no one had so much as heard of threading. I would ask local salons and different suppliers, but the response was always the same: a blank stare, followed by a smile and a subject change. It wasn't until two weeks before my wedding when one of my friends that works at the Opry Mills Mall mentioned a threading place in the mall, that I finally got to have my eyebrows done again. It had been almost a year, and I had resorted to tweezing and waxing, never getting the desired result. Six days before the wedding, I ventured to the newly renovated and now reopened mall to get my face fixed.

To my surprise, the place at Opry Mills was the same place I had been to in Florida: Brow Art 23. Its a relatively simple looking location, light blue paint, three threading stations and several women ready to take care of whatever you needed done. Threading used to only be done for special occations, like when a woman was getting married. Now it is done as woman, and men, want and need.

I walked in, full of smiles and asked for her to "fix this mess" (as I pointed to my eyebrows). She had me sit down as she got to work. Less than 10 minutes later, I was paying and walking out of the door, looking like a brand new woman.


(For the record, both pictures were taken within 20 minutes of one another...just in different lighting)

All said and done, after tip, the trip cost me about $15, well worth it if you ask me! If you have a local place, I suggest giving it a go. They do all sorts of services, not just eyebrows...upper lip, chin, side burns, and hair line (the most interesting to me). Prices vary based on location, but typically eyebrows run from $10-15.

As per usual, please feel free to ask questions or leave input. I would love to hear any stories if you, or someone you know has a threading experience. Until next time, my lovelies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment