Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bring on the Rain...Well...Moisture

As promised, I wanted to impart a little bit of knowledge regarding placing moisture back into the hair.  Too often, we let the environment get the better of our locks, causing  dry and brittle hair. This is even MORE true in the summer months. With outdoor games, time spent by the pool, and days at the beach, there is always something beating our hair up. Well no more! Lets combat this problem to the best of our abilities!

The most typical summer hair woe is chlorine damage. While chlorinated pools are great for relaxing and cooling off on hot summer days, short of putting a swim cap (ew) on, there isn't much people think of. This summer, when you are packing your cooler for the water park, or even just chilling by your own pool, bring on the leave in conditioning spray.  Ever since I was 15, I have been loading on the leave in before hopping in the pool. Back then, I used to use Pantene's leave in from the classic line, but judging by their website, this doesn't seem to exist anymore. Sadness! Upon a bit more digging, I did discover the Aqua Light Weightless Conditioning Shake.

I ran to the store and checked the ingredients, and this will definitely do the trick. Spray it liberally on your hair before going into the pool the first time and it'll provide an excellent coating to help keep your hair silky and smooth. This also works for the ocean by providing a first line of defense against the harsh ocean water. By leaving it in the cooler, it also doubles as a quick cool off when you are in that hot summer heat. A great and inexpensive little trick for everyone that needs it.

But as to anything, the first line of defense begins at home. If you have a great set of foundation products to help lock in that moisture, you will have healthier hair to start with.

Enter the Mac Daddy of all moisturizing shampoos and conditioners...Paul Mitchell Tea Tree - Lavender Mint. I have been using this stuff since it debuted while I was in hair school. I am a sworn believer. Not that I haven't strayed, oh no, believe you me I have. I always get the bug to try new things, but nothing ever makes my hair as silky and manageable as this stuff does. Boasting the lowest pH of any Paul Mitchell cleansing product, this can help to saturate your hair in some serious moisture.

When the shampoo and conditioner seem to need a little help, I like to add a light leave in using my newer favorite hair treatment...Earthly Body's Marrakesh X spray:

Made from Argan Oil, this stuff is great before you blow dry as a detangling spray, and I use it as a light leave in when I need to, even if I am not flat ironing. Argan oil comes from the argan tree (d'uh :) ) of Morocco. Its very nourishing and I love doubling it as a detangler. Since using it, I have found my hair shinier and I definitely noticed that even after harsher treatments (lightening...), it springs back to life quicker.

Let me know if you have any moisture secrets! To keep with my apparent hair theme this week, I will be doing a little write up on a special product that was brought to my attention last week (surprises!!).

Have a wonderful day, my lovelies!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to trying these tips, especially since my hair is like straw right now. I think it's got a lot to do with my pregnancy hormones, but I've always had dry hair and skin. The pregnancy isn't helping, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little surprised to hear about dry hair when you are in your first trimester, that's usually a lovely effect of the second. Maybe check with your doctor and see what they say. The Lavender Mint is really super moisturizing, and i love how silky it makes my hair. Even when I had "the incident" a few years ago, it made my fried hair semi-manageable. I may stray, but I always come back, that stuff is the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have excellent advice from my personal cosmetologist that even after shampooing and conditioning with these very same products, I need to use other booster-type products like a serum from Joico, before I dry my hair and Moisture Drops from Paul Mitchell before I use my flat iron. I do this every time I blow-dry and/or flat-iron and the results have changed the performance of my hair dramatically!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! One other thing I do is after toweling my hair, I add a tiny amount of the Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint Conditioner to my hand and distribute it. Then I apply it to the tips of my hair and under the back of my neck and any other trouble spots that are frizzy and drier. I run it through the rest of my hair, working the remainder to the roots. I let it work a few minutes then I blow-dry it! Really soft and shiny and looks good for 2 days w/ a small amount of water on the 2nd day! Experiment!

    ReplyDelete